Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Western District Conference Wrapup


20090425_WDC_notes

There were a lot of great ideas to take away from two days' worth of presentations. I’m trying to decipher my own notes and hope to be able to share at least some of the meatier thoughts. See tweets on Twitter using the hashtag #idsawest for notes taken during the presentations.

I found this on a table in the back of the main room and had to stop to take a photo of it. I’m not sure what it says about the attendee or the speaker. At a casual glance, I admit, it doesn’t seem to speak well of how things might have been going on-stage. After musing about it for a couple days, though, I think this represents the best part of conferences. You can’t predict or capture the marginalia – all the side conversations, chance meetings, and random thoughts that the presentations inspire.

My random thoughts:

- During Ariel Blumenthal (the composer)’s video clip, did you notice the segment on driving a convertible Corvair? You did? And you thought…? “Max!” I know it wasn’t just me.

- A happy belated birthday to Ravi.

- When Alexandre from Continuum told us to stand up, did you hesitate and think, “OMG, he’s going to make us role-play!” [not that that’s what I, in sheer horror, was thinking. Ahem.]

- It wasn’t just me, either, that noticed the student who changed from a button-down shirt into a tank-top on Saturday afternoon. To what, ditch the conference and get some sun? Or maybe to show off his guns? As a designer, one gets used to seeing eye-candy at events, I guess, but that, I wasn’t expecting …

The best for me, of course, was seeing so many from the local community at the Continuum party. Detractors might say that there’s no culture, no history in Los Angeles, and yet, there we all were, feeling positively giddy in the old Eames space. And though it’s tough to get everyone together and involved in a region as vast as Los Angeles, it was clear that it really is a small community. There was a lot of catching up, shaking hands, trading hugs and/or punches on shoulders, and talkin’ smack challenging neighboring offices to basketball games. Good times.

Pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/idsa_western_2009/

It was great to see you all!

No comments: